Saturday, May 07, 2011

The "Go-First" Principle

I once read about the idea of going first:
"When you go first, you give (others) the gift of going second. It’s so much harder to be first. No one knows what’s off limits yet and you’re setting the boundaries with your words. You’re throwing yourself on the honesty grenade and taking whatever fall out that comes with it." -Jon Acuff
This was written about small group settings, but it has stuck with me as I believe it applies to many contexts. I've used it, and it works. I feel like I've gotten to a point in my life where I'm able to be vulnerable with the people I love. If you sincerely ask me how I'm doing, you'll get a sincere response.
But what happens when it doesn't work? What do I do when someone doesn't want to go second?

No comments: